our local history
26/2/2014 02:56:49 am
The battle of Hastings was in 1066
26/2/2014 04:04:30 pm
The town hall was built in 1862 and cost £8500.
27/2/2014 01:31:51 am
The town of Bishop Auckland is situated at the confluence of the River Wear and the River Gaunless and has been the site of an important market since medieval times.`Bishop', as it is sometimes known to the locals, grew most rapidly in the nineteenth century, as a colliery town, but was important in much earlier times. Its earlier history is centred around the park and Castle of Auckland, which has been the principal residence of the Bishops of Durham since the twelfth century. Auckland Castle, also known as Auckland Palace, began as a manor house, built about 1183, by Bishop Pudsey, but was later converted into a castle by Bishop Anthony Bek in the fourteenth century. It is the last of fourteen country seats belonging to the Bishops of Durham. Because the castle is the private residence of the present Bishop of Durham, it is not usually open to the public.
27/2/2014 03:28:19 am
Escomb saxon church is the oldest church in its form and the stones which built the church were actually roman.
27/2/2014 04:18:53 am
Escomb church was built in the 7th or 8th Century AD when the area was part of the Anglian Kingdom of Northumbria, and is regarded as ' England's earliest complete church'. The building includes long and short quoins characteristics of Anglo-Saxon architecture, and re-used Roman masonry from Binchester Roman Fort - just down the river.
28/2/2014 04:02:32 am
Bishop Auckland grew as a market town
28/2/2014 06:14:28 pm
Up to 1834
1/3/2014 07:07:34 pm
Bishop Auckland is an ancient and historic market town, which has been the seat for country residence of the Prince Bishops and the official home of the Bishop of Durham since the 12th century. Much of the town’s earliest history surrounds its links with the Bishops of Durham.
1/3/2014 09:21:23 pm
Doggarts was a department store that was owned by Arthur Doggarts and his family. The store first opened in Bishop Auckland in 1895. The store closed its doors on Christmas Eve 1980. The store was open for 85years in Bishop Auckland and the people of the town still remember it today as it was one of the first department stores of its kind.
2/3/2014 02:46:18 am
There are five springs on the hillside and this would have made it a sacred place. Having explored the Wear valley, the Romans built a large fort at “Vinovium” (modern-day Binchester) some four miles down river. What appears to be a Roman track passes through the village on the way to the river crossing at Witton-le-Wear and, from there, to the upper dales and the former lead mines.Once, to buy off the invading Vikings, the community was given to a Viking King as part of the cost of peace. Later bishop regained the village.The village reached it's maximum population in the latter part of Queen Victoria's reign, when the iron production at Witton Park demanded coal from the mines of Escomb and surrounding villages. Not until 1870 did Witton Park have it's own church and a graveyard, so, prior to that date, all burials took place in the parish of Escomb. The population increase led to the hurried building of small houses, and the establishing of a school, by the owner of the coal-mine in the village. Later the school was transferred to the top of the hill leading into the village. At this time there were numerous plum orchards and each year the people held a Plum Fair. Records do not show whether the fruit was fermented, preserved or sold, but they were happy occasions. By the turn of the century unemployment was starting to have an effect. The Escomb pit had closed during World War 1, and work was transferred to a pit across the river at the neighboring village called “Toronto”.The Service in Escombe church was held once a month and holy communion once ln three months.During the service the Parson's horse was stabled at Peacock Farm (now known as Vicarage Farm). It was thought a dreadful thing if there were three funerals in one year.The Church bell was rung at midnight on New Years Eve. There was an old inn called the Bay Horse, another two - The Royal Oak and the Angel Inn and another joined to Peacock Farm. There were Beautiful oak trees in front of the Royal Oak. The village school was held by a lady in a cottage at the foot of the bank in 1836. The first Sunday School was held in the old church in 1836, it was afterwards held in the Reading Room, then in The Three Lane Ends School. The first tea for the Sunday School Children was held on Easter Monday 1867, the weather was very cold and it was decided to alter the date to Whit Monday in 1868. With the exception of one year,1897,when the vicar died (Mr T Lord) there has been a tea on Whit Monday until now.
2/3/2014 03:26:34 am
bishop auckland is a market town in county durham,and it is in the north east of england. bishop auckland is home to a fabulas castle that has portraits of lots of wonderfull well painted art . auckland also provides the setting for lewis carolls story[a ledand of scotland].
3/3/2014 01:11:20 am
Mining at Escomb
3/3/2014 01:12:51 am
Bishop Auckland is a market town and civil parish in County Durham in north east England. It is located about 12 miles (19 km) northwest of Darlington and 12 miles (19 km) southwest of Durham at the confluence of the River Wear with its tributary the River Gaunless. According to the 2001 census, Bishop Auckland has a population of 24,392.
3/3/2014 02:35:07 am
The name from history for bishop Auckland comes from the bishops of Durham which started the name bishop Auckland . Binchester fort was first made from stone by the Romans and still stands today
3/3/2014 10:54:00 pm
I am going on a mission pushing through the earth's crust to see if I can cliscouer an ancient myth.A one of such great healing pawers,
4/3/2014 03:35:34 am
It all started when theological students from Oxford and Cambridge Universities whilst studying at Auckland Castle, home of the Bishop of Durham, formed a team known as Bishop Auckland Church Institute in 1882.Success in national and local competitions often left the club with a backlog of league fixtures at the end of the season.Following the tragic Munich air disaster of 1958 when Manchester United lost so many talented players, three Bishop Auckland men went to assist the First Division champions.In 1988 it was the end of an era, but it was also the beginning of an exciting new phase in the club’s historyIn 1988 it was the end of an era, but it was also the beginning of an exciting new phase in the club’s history
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Welcome to our Year 5 Class Blog. Feel free to visit our page and leave a comment.